Monday, August 17, 2009

Print Class

Inspired by Edmaier's photo of moraine banding on Steller Glacier, Alaska, USA

I'm taking a print making course with the wonderful Joan Travaglia at WSA (the same art school where I'm teaching book making). I am interested in learning how to create images I can print alongside letterpress. In the first class I made a monoprints using cut paper to mask and impress three different coloured inked blocks onto my paper.

Inspired by Edmaier's birds eye photograph of layered rock hills in the Bungle Bungle Range, Purnululu National Park, Western Australia
In the second class I got to scratch an image (at top of this post) onto mdf board with the point of a craft knife. Tomorrow, I get to use proper tools and cut a board for embossing. I'm so excited!For the first two images I made I drew on this wonderful book from the library. But tomorrow I'm planning to emboss a fossil image... its just a matter of deciding between an ammonite, a trilobite, a crinoid, a microfossil... um, I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: