Sunday, March 20, 2011

Ephemera


In between the very substantial pieces I'm working on, I've done a little experiment in the other direction.

This is what blanket stitch looks like without the blanket (or any other backing). It goes a long way to satisfying my desire to make lace.

I like the watery, airy, foamy, cloudy quality of this technique. I also like the stiff, sculptural texture that suggests many possibilities for stitching in three dimensions.

There is a delightful contrast between this kind of blanket stitch and the very dense, deep and soft island in which I use the same stitch to completely different effect.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing and lovely.. blanket stitch without the blanket. letting loose into a whole new sphere of possibilty.

Claire Beynon said...

This is beautiful, Meliors - do you wax the wool before stitching, I wonder?