Monday, June 23, 2008

Marrdja Mangroves

Remember the original Star Wars movie, where the young Luke Skywalker visits with Yoda on his home planet? Yoda lives in a dark, creepy, misty, muddy place seeming to consist entirely of gnarled tree trunks and buttress roots.

When I first visited the Marrdja Boardwalk, which passes through several diverse mangrove and coastal rainforest ecosystems, the mangroves reminded me of Dagobah and I wouldn't have surprised to see a short, wizened, big-eared, sci fi puppet waddle out from behind a buttress root saying, Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

But I would have been less surprised to see a crocodile, and in fact was keeping a close watch out for them. No crocs either, thankfully, though I felt pretty safe high up on the boardwalk.
In New Zealand there is only one species of mangrove, but here there are dozens with all shapes of brightly coloured flowers and seed pods and best of all, amazing root systems. It really is like being on another planet.

1 comment:

Carol said...

At a computer for first time in weeks. Still in NZ, Auckland now and the weather is horrendous - very cold, torrential rain and non-stop gale force winds that make the house shudder for hours on end. However, it's also very magnificent and I glad I'm here. Your photos are just wonderful, and that strangler fig is spectacular. When I get home this weekend I'll be able to read all your posts at my leisure. Carol