Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Volcanic steam vents in the snow


I did a final padding out of my Antarctic contours before stitching on the sea level blanket. I cut careful slits through the back layers and poked undyed wool roving inside and then needle felted it into place. This has created a much more pleasing (and geographically accurate) profile.

The cuts through many layers were beautiful and inspiring both with and without the roving. They reminded me of the iced up steam vents on Mt Erebus that I saw in Werner Hertzog's fabulous and crazy documentary about Antarctica called Encounters at the End of the World. Its a full length doco that you can watch for free online. Prizes for the first commenter who correctly identifies the two other images in the film that remind me of art work I've made in the past 12 months.

No comments: