Thursday, August 18, 2005

From the Tron

Those of us of a certain generation who know Hamilton well enough to appreciate its good qualities, and those who know it well enough to be heartily sick of it, refer to Hamilton at Hamiltron or just the 'Tron for short. I have spent most of my life on a springy elastic pulling me back to the Tron, often against my will. I'm here this week to consider whether to do my doctorate study at Waikato University.

Like the Tron, Waikato gets a bad rap, but I had a great time with my first two degrees here. Once again I've investigated some of my other options for NZ universities, and once again I find the potential supervisors most sympatico with my intellectual interests are here. Also they are offering the best scholarship deal so its not much of a contest really.

As well as a beautiful campus and interesting academics, the Tron offers the Waikato River (which flows through my dreams), the incomparable Hamilton Gardens and a statue commemorating the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I have not yet experienced this last treat, but I might try and squeeze it in today, after another session at the uni library.

1 comment:

rachlovestheweb said...

wooOO! GO the Tron!!!