Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I used to think bagels were a good thing

When the rain woke me up at 3.30 this morning I lay around fretting for a while, and then got up and began what turned into a nearly five hour process of debugging the laptop. Rest assured I am writing to you from a computer purged of at least 120 nasty whatsits. I'm pretty confident they are all gone, though I don't know what do with the ones locked in the AVG virus vault. Anyway, they appear to safely incarcerated for now.

I know how the damn mess got started too- I received an email from my old work address, with a subject line indicating this would be the tax information I requested ages ago. Sneaky nasty little virus, I never open joke attachments, but money info is a whole 'nother story... so you know I clicked it open... to my instantaneous regret. It was like inviting the Cat in the Hat to babysit.

As far as I know Bagel.DE hasn't been sending itself onto everyone in my address book, apologies if it has. All it seemed to want to do was encourage slothful behaviour in my hardworking hard drive and get on the net to invite its horrid little friends, Thing 1 and Thing 2 (and 3-120), over to play.

Thank you CW Shredder, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and of course AVG Free. They are all free to download and relatively straightforward to use, if sloooooooooowwwwwwww to scan all my files. So that's all from me for today, I've been on the computer nearly 8 hours and its not even lunchtime. I'm outta here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Argh! Sympathies!