Sunday, August 12, 2007

Chandler and Price for sale


I received a call a couple of weeks ago from a lady at T & D Print here in Whangarei. They are upgrading to digital printing and are looking for someone to buy their old platen jobber press. It's a Chandler and Price (a much better known brand than TKPT's Arab) with the number 837 on it. It looks very much like this C&P press on Briar Press and the one on this site.

I'm not in the market to acquire a printing press (they just aren't portable enough for my transient lifestyle), and if I was I would want something with a big platen so I could print posters and wallpaper, big stuff that the Arab can't handle. In fact, the C&P is very like the Arab, they could be brothers, at least to my inexperienced eye.

But I couldn't resist the opportunity to visit a venerable old press so I went round for a bit of tire kicking. In a tiny print shop chock full of machinery, the C&P is tucked into a little alcove with just enough room for a skinny operator to get in behind the feeder board. They have disconnected the rollers and and the treadle as it has been used solely for motorised die cutting and creasing. But all the bits are still there and it would be pretty simple to convert it back to a foot operated printing press.

It's a lovely press it deserves to go to a good home where it will be used. If you are interested, call T & D Print on (09) 438 1194

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

just curious.what happened to this one?

Anonymous said...

did you ever sell this

Anonymous said...

did this ever sell

Meliors Simms said...

long gone...

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I have a Chandler and Price for sale. You can contact me at percyashby@gmail.com. I'm located in London Ontario, but the press is in Dundalk Ontario.

Hate to part with it, but divorce is a funny thing!