Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Book as Art Exhibiton

Karori Sanctuary

Two and a half years ago Auckland City Libraries purchased three of my editioned artist's books for their Special Collection. Special Collection books are available to be viewed at the library on request, so they are not the kind of books that you would find while browsing the shelves. I don't expect many people have requested Waipou Forest, Karori Sanctuary and Wind Talk* and so they are probably not seen very often at all.

Waipoua Forest

Until now. In my Quarry mail slot the other day was an envelope from the Auckland City Libraries with the brochure/catalogue for their current exhibition (10 March to 31 May 2008) called The Book as Art: contemporary artists and fine press books. The exhibition includes 40-50 books from the special collection including New Zealand book artists such as Elizabeth Steiner, Barbara Schmeltzer and J&J Bennett. There are books on show that I have heard of or seen photographed but never looked at in three dimensions, such as the book illustrated on the brochure: Circulus sapientiae by Hildegard von Bingen- A pop-up book by Claire Van Vliet and Katie MacGregor; (Janus Press in 2001),. The exhibition is organised into categories such as Words, Images, Paper, Shape, Dimension, Covers and Structure.

It is fair to say that I am itching, squirming and salivating, to get down to Auckland and see this exhibition for myself. Fortunately, I am passing through Auckland next weekend on my way to somewhere else and I can easily make a detour to the Special Collections Exhibition Room in the Central City Library. I can't wait!

Wind Talk

All photographs by the infinitely talented Katrina Ching of Wellington.

*Additional copies of all three editions are still available for sale on request- contact me at meliors6/at/gmail/com.

No comments: