Sunday, June 06, 2010

Come to a bloody end


At exactly three pm on Thursday, 3 June, as I made the last blanket stitch on the Antarctic continent, the needle slipped and scratched my finger deeply. Blood welled up onto the thread and spotted the edge of the blanket. I had been embroidering in a distracted fashion, aware that I was almost finished but not counting the stitches left, so the pain and blood brought my attention dramatically to the beginning of the end.

The blanket stitching that covers the whole continent is completed but there's still many hours of work left to finish and prepare Antartica for its future life as an art object instead of my obsessive love interest. The embroidery is the part I most enjoy, although I'm not immune to the satisfaction inherent in the next stages. So the bloodstained final stitch was a bitter sweet moment, and I admit tears pricked my eyes once I had cleaned up my finger and tied off the last thread, and looked over what I have accomplished in the past seven months.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations my dearest!!!
The achievement seems so huge and profound that I don't know what else to say...
xxx
E

Helen Rickerby said...

Wow, congratulations! It seems somehow a good symbol that you should christen it with your blood.

Marcia said...

Blood, Sweat and Tears - wow Meliors, you are amazing, I can`t wait to see the finished piece of art..

Carol said...

Congratulations, Meliors, what an achievement, and yes, I'm sure it was a bitter sweet moment, between shedding your blood on it and actually doing the finishing stitches. I hope you find a fitting home for this work of art - maybe Te Papa? I think your blogging friends have been privileged to watch Antartica take shape.

Tim Jones said...

I suppose that no Antarctic journey worth making is achieved without toil and suffering ... congratulations, Meliors

Bronwyn Lloyd said...

An epic achievement Meliors. Well done!