Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Rainy Day

It has been raining hard for two days... the radio says that we've had a month's worth of rain today, and to expect as much again tonight. The calves in the paddock round my place are looking pretty bedraggled, they spent most of the afternoon huddled under the totora tree, but now are out in the downpour eating grass. My landlady said she couldn't get to the back paddocks because the ford is too deep and swift for her quad bike. The electricity company who had said they were coming out to replace a powerpole outside my house never showed up (I wouldn't be playing with electricity today either!) so I haven't been without power.

But my little cottage is cosy and dry, the fire pumping out heat enough to cook my food. I've had a intensely satisfying day working on a new commission for three map boxes, and playing with paint.
I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere, the radio warned drivers to be careful, and I've heard stories about our unpaved road flooding in the past. As long as the rain stops before I run out of chocolate I don't care.

No comments: