Friday, February 10, 2006

A tisket, a tacket, a basket of eggs

I'm flitting between book projects a bit madly at the moment. It's useful to have several on the go as whenever I get stuck on one, I just switch over to something else for a different kind of challenge. Today's energy is being divided between a project involving my blue handmade paper and blown blue eggs and a tacket bound book.

According to Shereen LaPlantz, tacket binding is a very ancient binding technique. The oldest intact bound books found in the world were tacketed books from 3rd and 4th centuries Egypt. I've been wanting a good way to bind codex style books and so far this is my favourite of the bindings I have tried being pretty easy, pretty looking and having an illustrious history that complements the content of the books I working on.

No comments: